Thursday, February 20, 2014

An attempt to treat an addiction...

I have this problem.  I find it incredibly easy to treat the challenges in my life with avoidance- and medicate them with the escapist technique of immersing myself in the stories of other peoples' lives portrayed by actors in movies and TV shows.  Netflix will be my downfall.
So, I tried something three weeks ago.   I drew what it feels like to watch as much TV as I sometimes do.  Here, what resulted was an image of my brain being sucked from me into the screen.  You know the feeling.  While drawing this, I became very aware at how creepy it all can be, and how much I might be loosing by engaging in extra screen time.  With that mindfulness an interesting thing resulted.  After drawing this, I had no interest in watching any form of TV or movie for about two and a half weeks.  What caused me to turn on the TV again?  Not wanting to face my own reality.  Perhaps its time to create another drawing….
Perhaps its time to create another drawing and put in ON the TV….  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment